Sunday, January 4, 2015

Goals

As 2014 has come to an end, and 2015 has now begun, I've thought a lot about what I should do to improve my life over the next year. On New Year's Eve, I decided not to make any resolutions. My reasoning: I, like most people, set goals that last a week and then taper off. I've literally had the same (more or less) new year's resolutions for the past five years. I thought not making them, but just have little goals here and there, when I decide to make them, would be best. That was until I was sitting in sacrament meeting today. Our stake president started talking about goals. I honestly have no idea what he said, but I came home feeling like I needed to make a list of things that I want to accomplish this year. I know I've shared goals on here in the past (and it hasn't seemed to work), but if I know that my goals are out here for everyone to read, I feel more accountable to them.

I am not going to list all of my goals, but I have one in particular that I feel might help me improve myself, and this blog (or at least get me writing). My goal is to study the gospel more fully. I need to improve in this. I love the scriptures, and I love the prophets. I love their words and the comfort and spirit that is brought because of them. I do not take advantage of them as I should. Here's where this blog and accountability come into play. As I read and study a topic, a book of scripture, a lesson, etc. I will write my thoughts and feelings in a blog post. I would love to do this weekly, but working full-time and being a full-time student, I feel that a blog post once a week will not be realistic. So, I will post some thoughts from my studies monthly. *DISCLAIMER: I am not out for arguing and debating, I am stating what I feel and what I know to be right, I respect your beliefs, please respect mine.* 

I hope that as the New Year rolls around for you that you may set goals that improve yourself and the world around you. Don't get discouraged if you mess up or feel unaccomplished, Just remember that great things come by small processes. Be a little better today than you were yesterday and a little better tomorrow than you were today.

1 comment: